Sunday, January 19, 2014

Updates for Mathematical Reasoning: Writing and Proof

Before I describe a few small updates to the materials that are available for Mathematical Reasoning: Writing and Proof, I would like to remind people to check out the List of Approved Open-Source Textbooks that are available through the American Institute of Mathematics.

In preparing for class this semester, I revised the study guides that are available for Mathematical Reasoning: Writing and Proof.  These guides are available of the web site for the book.  In addition, because "flipping" a proofs course can be a difficult and time-consuming thing to do, I have written short fact-based quizzes for most sections of the textbook.  I usually give these quizzes at the start of class.  (Students are supposed to study the section of the textbook along with the screencasts that are available for the text.)  Instructors who would like to obtain a copy of these quizzes and their solutions, should contact me at mathreasoning@gmail.com.



I have also written problem sets for most of the sections of the textbook that I have students work on during class.  Again, I have solutions for these problems and instructors can learn how to obtain these problem sets and their solutions by sending me a message using the email address above.

I have found these quizzes and problem sets to be very useful for a flipped-class model using the textbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment